Skip to main content

The Marjoram-Ipecac Experience

***This is a public service announcement***

My son cannot eat foods that contain the seasoning: Marjoram!


It will induce vomiting between 9 and 10 hours after eating it.


Thank you!


Marjoram-spiceIt has already been a roll with the punches kind of week. Our schedule and routine has been up in the air since finding out one week ago that Adam's grandma was dying. Since her death Friday afternoon we have been busy helping his mom with funeral arrangements. We made posters, drove to pick up Jayne's uncle from college, and last night attended the wake. Adam's parents were kind enough to bring cheese, meat, and bought gluten free crackers for us to have as a snack at the wake since we went there straight from our drive to and from Lacrosse. We thought it was very nice of them and thought nothing of it.

Come 4:00 am we burst out of bed to help our poor vomiting son. Apparently, we have not told them about Jayne's marjoram issue. We figured this out a couple of years ago that Jayne will vomit, usually twice, 9-10 hours after eating food containing marjoram. Generally he doesn't like the taste of it and complains about eating it. This seasoning can be found most often in Italian seasoning blends, red sauces, and sausages like kielbasa and summer sausage. The thing is that salami is fine and we thought that was what we were eating, but no.

So here I am at 6:00 am still wide awake. On the up side I had time to read my Bible devotional, Bible reading, and chapter 7 of No More Perfect Moms, which is ironically entitled "No More Perfect Days". Today has certainly been far from perfect but nothing a nap after the funeral can't fix. We also learned a very important lesson, pay more attention to what our son is eating and also to make sure he knows what to avoid. He is very good about avoiding gluten because he is well informed, but we just don't encounter marjoram as much so we have failed to keep him well informed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning the Uke

The Cat Returns is one of my favorite animated films. The end song, Kaze Ni Naru, is one of my favorite parts and gave me the longing to play the ukulele. I found just the uke for me here in Montreal. It is part musical instrument and part souvenir of Quebec. I am not terribly good at it yet, but I am starting to get this song down. Once I have it figured out, I will either attempt to learn the words so I can sing along, or move on to another great song. In the meantime, here is a great cover of the song by someone who has been playing a lot longer than I have.

Cats in Paris: a Book Review

In Montreal adult coloring books are everywhere. When we came back to the states a couple of months ago I found they were popular here too. I really enjoy them and am very particular about what I pick. I like a lot of fine details mixed with whimsy.

Cats in Paris by Won-Sun Jang is simply beautiful. It begins with a sort of tour of Paris, with cats of course. There is a bit of narrative in this portion as well. The art is beautiful but not quite the page covering design work I personally love. The rest of the book makes up for it though. There are patterns and intri'cat' designs. The artwork throughout is beautifully done and a joy to fill in. I am so happy to be able to while away my quiet moments with this book.


More InfoAuthor BioI received this book from Blogging for Books for this review

Indescribable

Have you seen this video by Louie Giglio yet? It is really amazing to see how the universe proclaims God's glory. Take some time to watch it. God really is indescribable.